Sunday, October 3, 2010
as a child, i detested beets. i would describe the taste as the same as eating dirt. to me they were the equivalent of eating a mud pie.
thanks to the good food box, we always get beets in our hampers come late summer and fall...and now as an adult i love them! i feel like i have to make up for lost time and i buy them even when they aren't included in the box!
my fellow beagle friend and blogger shana recommended a citrus beet recipe that i tried earlier this fall. it was delicious.
this week, i made a variation on the shutterbean recipe above. here's my version:
• 5-6 medium sized beets (boiled and then skin removed by just rubbing it off! rubber gloves are recommended. sliced)
• 2 navel oranges (sliced along the boats)
• tons of parsley
• a fresh herb mix (mint, basil, lemon basil, dill)
• 2 tsp honey
• 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• a pinch of sea salt and pepper
mix together and voila! a yummy salad that will last a week or two thanks to the apple cider vinegar.
my fresh herb mix was prepackaged. i picked it up from kind organic's booth at the dufferin grove market. the package wasn't labeled so i'm not sure of the exact contents but it was really delicious.
i tasted: basil, lemon basil, mint, a lemony mint (?) and parsley ... but can you identify any of the other leaves?